Thursday, November 08, 2012

Imagine

Barack Obama, President. My President. The President of the entire United States of America. It is so sickening that people cannot accept that. As I listen to and read certain comments it is becoming more and more clear that these united states have definitely become so divided in the past four years and I no longer question why. I wanted to believe for a very long time that this was not about his race. I wanted to believe that people were truly at odds with his views on healthcare reform, ( beats me why people would so hate this idea but have no problem having to have CAR insurance) his foreign policy, economics, his leadership or basically anything  but his race.But since his re-election bigotry has reared its ugly head in ways that I have not witnessed before. These people are not willing to compromise on any level . They damn near slap the olive branch out of your hand when extended. How can we heal as a nation when you are unwilling to compromise? When you are so consumed with hatred that you would rather see the whole shit blow up  before you give an inch. Where does that kind of thinking come from?

Ignorance?  Upbringing? Superiority complex? Entitlement? Let's talk about that for a moment. Romney's statement about the 47%... you know the one. I believe he got it wrong, lower/ middle class are not the ones who feel like the are entitled , clearly, White men are the ones who feel they are entitled to something. They are coming up with every excuse they can think of as to why they lost except the obvious. People would rather vote for someone who at least seems like they give a rat's ass about your well-being. Romney did not come across as being a person I think would understand my needs. He couldn't understand the struggles of the average american. He has not had to struggle for anything.  He also had some other issues , that let me know wholeheartedly that I would have never voted for him. But had he won....  Yeah , I would have been   heartbroken,and I would have been angry but I would have also had to accept the fact that he was the President. My President.  The President of these United States.I would have adapted.

How do we move forward? How do we begin to heal? Do we continue on this path of destructive thinking or do we come together and rebuild this nation. He is after all, going to be President for the next four years. My President. Your President, of these United States. Imagine if we all worked together as one.

Be Blessed peeps!!!

2 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

Hey Wendy. I share your thoughts and feelings completely.

It's a shame that all so many want to focus on is skin colour. They forget that for 8 years Bush raped and pillaged this country; leaving us damn near bancrupt emotionally, finacially, socially, and globally. I'll go out on a limb and say, Obama may have been a little naive and over zealous in some of his platform approaches, but he at least gave us reason to hope; to look to/for a brighter future. Most of all, he UNDERSTOOD the struggles of those who aren't white (men/women alike) and entitled. He knows and understands what hard work is; to have to pay off a student loan, to know what a single parent home is. He actually gives a damn about this country and the future of it for a less than monetary, titular, and entitled viewpoint. He has a view from the cheap seats and knows the reality of it...You may not have the best view, but you'll damn sure do what you can to make the most of it.

Politics will be what they are, but we as a people (black) and we as a people; all that voted for Barack Obama has a job to do and a role to play. We can't simply leave it all up to him to both fix the nation and ourselves. We have to do our part. We must start uplifting ourselves and our communities. We need to take pride in whom we are regardless of class, gender, skin colour or sexual orientation. We MUST have HOPE; a vision to move FORWARD and to be a part of the CHANGE we want. It's essential that we remain a part of every opportunity to vote; not just for the presidency. We must exercise our voices in all we do in order to achieve the betterment we seek.

My bad for blogging in your comment, but as a woman who mentors and strives to be a part of the greater community, I'm passionate about being about and instead of just talking about it.

Wendy said...

I hear you Blu and you can go ahead and blog here anytime you want.