Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Without looking at the word only hearing it. I chose to help my nephew with his vocabulary. Surely, I had forgotten that words can sound alike but be spelled differently and mean different things. The word... Eminent. I tell him, because he did not know what it meant. "What if someone says to you that you are in imminent danger if you walk in front of a truck?, Does that help you?." He said no it didn't because he was looking at the sentence used in the book. So of course he was confused. I said " Okay look it up in the thesarus and see which words are similiar". He said it says ...famous...prominent...projecting...conspicuous. I say.... because it still had not clicked.... " Well the thesarus is wrong because that is not what imminent means!"... By now he is thinking I have slipped off the deep end. So I walk over and actually look at the word. ....OH!......However, I am willing to admit when I am wrong. Websters... I apologize.

No comments: