Thursday, August 31, 2006

Change the World

My brothers step- daughter is 16. At a family gathering last week I asked her what colleges was she looking in to.She doesn't want to go to college. She has the means. She is a smart child. She wants to go to cosmetology school and open a shop. I looked at her mother's face when she made this statement. Her face told me the issue had been resolved and her daughter had her full support. Now lord knows, I know plenty of women who would die without their beauticians and I'm not belittling their profession at all but, I found myself thinking. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Perhaps because from the time I could form a thought my parents have pushed the importance of education. Perhaps because I know plenty of beauty school dropouts.Perhaps because I am thinking logically. Why not give yourself more options? As many as you can. Ok, you want to be a hairdresser that's fine but, at least take a course that will help you manage the business you hope to build. Why not just try it first and see if it's for you? If you're so hell bent on doing this, do your roommates heads. Build a client base for God's sake!

I also have a friend whose daughter believes that she is the next Judith Jamison. No college for her either. She wants to be the choreographer to the stars, she wants nothing else. Baby girl can dance, but so could every other girl at the recital.I believe in having a dream. I believe in nurturing and supporting your children. But let's be realistic here. Let's burst that bubble for just a minute and say "What If?" What do you do if this plan doesn't work out? What is your plan B? I'm thinking of so many boys and girls who dream of going to college but have to put this on a back-burner because they cannot afford to go. I'm thinking about how hard it is to get ahead WITH a college degree. Encourage your children to be the best, in whatever they decide to do, but don't allow them to settle. Don't allow them to take the easy road. Soon enough they will find that reality is not as great as the imagination. So prepare them for the unexpected, as much as you can. I still believe that nothing beats a fail but a try. Most parents know their children. Maybe they know college isn't for their children, but don't send them into the world with the rose colored glasses.Because contrary to your belief the sun doesn't rise on little miss/masters ass...

{Conspiracy Theory}
Spike Lee's When The Levees Broke was supposed to air Tuesday night. All four parts. Strangely enough, the cable station was having difficulty. With this channel. All 200+ other channels were working just fine. Cowinky-dink? I think not.

1 comment:

chele said...

I think it is a tragedy that so many of our young girls aspire to be more like Beyonce than Condi.

It's fine to have a dream, I just wish they had BIGGER dreams.