Monday, November 05, 2007

Fairytales


While reading in the blogosphere,I was reminded by Blujewel
of the woes of the dating game. Sometimes we as women get caught up in the fairytale.Most young girls dream of a prince ( so to speak) their own personal princes' coming to sweep them off their feet.Dating becomes harder because of the fairytale. Once we believe that we have connected with a person, we look for the next level. We want to define ourselves. Who am I to you? If we believe he is our Prince, well then I must be your Princess. But because of agenda,timing, gameplay, whatever the reason sometimes we just disconnect. The reality is there are no princes, there aren't always happy endings. When we realize this we are caught off guard, because we believe in our heart of hearts that if we do all the things needed to make our relationships work then everything will be fine. How many of our girlfriends have we listened to, and how many have listened to us going over where it went wrong? Sometimes there just isn't an answer dammit. You did everything right, you just happened to be with a toad. So what do we do? We walk around with one damn glass slipper searching for the prince again because we are holding fast to the fairytale. Heartbreak is a powerful thing. No one wants to be hurt. For some it breaks not only the heart but also the spirit.We as women have to ugh...for lack of a better term "man up". We have to stop letting our hearts be our guides because the aren't always on point. Being the more sensitive sex allows us, to forgive and forget more easily, all in the name of love. Let go of the Princess and become the Queen. How powerful I am? Once you realize this you free yourself. You will not allow toxic relationships to continue because you love yourself. You will not be so desperate for companionship that we will lower your bar and settle for whatever comes your way. You will not compromise your beliefs.You will not attract a prince,with his limited power but a King, who appreciates you and all your glory. Your story will be your own. And you will smash all the fairytales and that one slipper to pieces.

4 comments:

coloredgirlswhohaveconsidered said...

When you get moment Google the lyrics to Anita Bakers song 'Fairy Tales'...tell me what you think.

I don't know if it came out the 1st or 2nd year of my marriage. But, if there was ever a song that could dig deep into my purse and pull out my address, this was it. I still know the lyrics by heart.

Wendy said...

Colored- This post is titled for that song. Allof my post are song titles. I love music and Ms. Baker is one of my favorites! Believe me when I say I know the words to every song she has ever sung.Thanks for dropping by the spot, and do come again.

Believer said...

I agree, finding your worth as a Queen is so important. Some of earlier decisions in relationships wouldn't even be considered today. I wear my crown proudly. I see you do too!

Blu Jewel said...

Wendy, thank you for the shout out *blush*. I agree with you in this post. We do have to stand up for ourselves, look beyond the obvious, and really question what's in our best interest.

We have to know ourselves first and foremost to even begin to get the best of the dating game or we'll always end up toting that damn glass slipper around.

There is no room for duds in my queendom, so I still by this rule, "you may apply, but it doesn't mean you'll qualify!"