Sunday, July 09, 2006

Let the Music Play- repost

Being the music lover that I am I borrowed this idea from Mahogany- !
4. I'll write A Song For You-Earth, Wind and Fire
Phillip, Phillip, Phillip. I watched this man sing this song in concert. He hit a note even higher than the recorded version and I thought to myself. I love this man. I love all EWF but this song really does something to me.

5. Guilty Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb
I love this song. Always have. " It ought be illegal..Make it a crime to be lonely or sad"

6.AS- Stevie Wonder
Stevie is partying on this song. Working his magic the only way he can. Mary and George Michael took at crack at it too. They did their thing. But hey...It's Stevie. It took awhile but I finally realized that the name of the song was not Always.

7.Together Again- Janet Jackson
This is such an uplifting , happy song. Although I heard it was dedicated to some of her friends that have passed on. I watched Janet perform this song on her HBO special I think she jumped the entire time. What I wouldn't give for stamina like that.

8. In A Sentimental Mood- Duke Ellington/John Coltrane
Any question on this one? Slow groove not one word ( jazz people) and you are making them up in your own mind. Takes me there every time.

9.SuperStar( Till You Come Back To Me)- Luther Vandross
I thank God that was I able to see with my own eyes the talent this man posessed.There are so many songs, I love by Luther. This song however with it's piano and flutes, the way he winds you down in the intro before he begins to tell his story... awesome. " Don't you remember you told me you love me baaby!" Lawd!!!

10. Daydreaming- Aretha Franklin
The Queen rocked this one for me. Back up saaaanging her into the verse. She comes in cool " He's the kind of guy..." Damn, effortless. Natural. Whew!!!

11. You Love Me- Jill Scott ( Hidden Beach track)
I watched this sister sing this song on Oprah, she bought tears to my eyes. Talent Raw. Now back to the song. If you have not heard this cut...get out from under that rock...and run to get it.

12. You Remind Me- Mary J
Another artist that I truly love. If I had to choose just one it would be this one. She came on strong..blazing. Had me bopping my head at home, work, stoplights. I didn't care. Still don't.

13. You Are My Friend- Patti LaBelle
This song empowers me. When I am down and thinking . Damn Life sucks. I put on this song. " The thought of you helps me carry on, when I feel all hope is gone" Everyone should have someone in there life that this sentiment rings true for. Ms Patti, yeah I've got to have this one. Amazing.

14. 1,4,3- Musiq
Talk about a brotha who can saaaaaaaang. It was a toss up between this one and love. This song I like because he was creative with it. "..listen to his notes. I love it. There aren't many more ways in words that I can say...broke it down to 143"

15.Everywhere-Jahiem
It's another sad song I know, but I feel his pain/comfort. His is singing to his mom. nice melody. smooth.

16. Waiting- Deniece Williams
Yeah, I went back. But Niecy put her thing down here. I think she may have been going through some things on this Album. Yes, I said Album. But notes, crazy notes, singing for real.

17. Neither one of Us Gladys Knight and the Pips
Strong, from the gut. Listen to the piano playing before she says" It's sad to think.. Telling this man how much loves him, but knows she's gotta go. " We just won't let it die" Have you been there?"Farewell my love,goodbye" Farewell is a mighty long time...she is done. Ok? Gladys is twisting the hell out of the scales, in this song. Keep up!The Pips in the background steady,complimentary and precise.

18. Candy- Cameo
Dom,dom, dom...< href="rhythmandwords.blogspot.com">

2 comments:

Luke Cage said...

LOL! Nice try miss Wendy. Trying to tag a brotha just by reading.. But hey, I loved your list. Very eclectic and diverse. Having Jennifer Holiday, Barbra Streisand and Yolanda Adams is diverse indeed. I need to do this one.. ;)

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

yeah #24 is a banga...my favorite one is "Scandalous"...that's my boy...good picks