Thursday, June 08, 2006

For The Cool In You

I'm the type of person who will not leave my coworkers waiting for a ride. I always ask, are you ok? Or is someone coming for you? Being the hour we get off ( Midnight) and the fact that security has to patrol three buildings, it just isn't safe. There is one co-worker who from time to time is waiting for a ride although she has a car. I don't pry, but...I no longer let anyone drive MY car. I have learned a very hard lesson. When I did though, you better be there when I get off. Or there would be hell to pay. One second after I am off, I'm heading to my car. I understand things happen but tonight what this woman told us, as we waited with her for 45 minutes, before we decided to give her a ride because the sister was not answering her phone and no where in sight What she told us about her home life was not only sad but crazy! She is a single mother now of three boys aged 9, 7 and 2. She is currently going through a divorce. Her mother and sister have moved in with her, she has given up her bedroom to her mother. She has given one of the boys rooms to her sister. She sleeps in the room with her boys. ( I'm listening and thinking ...hell no) Her mother refuses to watch her children while she works. Not going to a club... to work! I"m REALLY thinking HELL NO now. Her mother does not work. WTF!!! And this is YOUR home? Her sister works, but does not have a car. She has two so she lets her sister drive one. Today one broke down. Her sister was supposed to pick her up. She never came ( we learned this is not the first time she has done this). Another co-worker and I decided to drive her home. When we pulled up to her home both cars were in the driveway. Lights in the house..off.Sis wasn't even thinking about coming! CAN YOU SAY, ACT A FOOL?
Now, I understand that this is your family and you want to help them out. But, dammit if they are hindering you, it's time they go. I know it's hard to say Mom/Sis you gotta go. And that was her thing..."she is my mother". However, sometimes you have to love your family from a distance. Sometimes family is not family. If you can't watch my children while I'm at work for 10 hours. Not to mention the hour it takes to get there. And Yes, it took us an hour to get her home. At midnight. If when I get off you don't pick me up. IN MY OWN CAR. If when I get home, I have no private place to unwind because I have given you my room. If you don't get up any morning to get the kids ready and fed before school; to give me a little more time to sleep.AND you don't work anywhere. It's time we part ways. Shit, give me a break. They have to go. Of course I was only thinking this. She felt bad enough/embarrassed enough as it was, but we could tell she needed to vent. I know my face was twisted and smoke was probably coming from my ears. But I hugged her and told her was she would be blessed for all she has done for her family. And to keep her head up. Driving away we were both shaking our heads and saying...Ain't no way...

2 comments:

chele said...

Amen to loving your family from a distance. Forget that! If you living in my house you will contribute to the household in some kind of way ... be it financially or otherwise. I don't understand people. My mother would NEVER live in my house, but the few times she visited for extended periods she made breakfast and dinner every day and kept my kitchen clean for me ... not because she had to but because she didn't want to feel like a burden in my home. That's just common courtesy. Dang! Your co-worker doesn't need that kinda stress from grown people. It just gets me so mad.

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

oh hell naw!!! they would have to contribute something...thank ya lawd (lord)...it would've been some furniture movin'...something...ain't no way in hell they movin' in my spot and ain't contributing...gas is too high....she a good'ne..(good one)