Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My Prayer

We had a rather heated debate going at work today about civil unions. A few could not understand how I could be against homosexuality but for the civil unions. So here is my position:

I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I feel that it is not the way God intended things to be. I do not believe people are born gay. All of my gay friends say they knew from the time they could think, what they wanted. That is their opinion. I can have mine. Yes, I do have gay friends. One of my very best friends is homosexual.

When I read the Bible, it tells me that such a lifestyle is wrong. This is my perception of the text.It is a sin. As is adultery, fornication,stealing, lying,coveting, lust...Sin is sin.It is not my place to judge them any more than it is their place to judge me for my sins. I will be the only one accountable for them.

I think of people that have lost there lives, because they were gay.The hatred that is being created now more than ever for these people. Whose only difference from me could be what happens in the privacy of their bedrooms.
I think of the families that are devastated when a man or woman who has always had homosexual tendencies, decide they no longer wish to hide. Had they not felt forced to conform to the "norm" they may not have married that man/woman knowing this was not what they wanted all along... How do you explain to a child that mommy or daddy likes ( men/women) and that is why we are no longer together. Do you say nothing? Do you tell the child later on? Do you hope the child doesn't overhear it at school or get taunted because of it?
Yes I believe in the sanctity of marriage. That a man and woman stand before God.That is again my perception of the text in the Bible.
But, who am I to say that that you have no rights should your life partner die, that you cannot collect benefits because you are not related, although you have shared your life with this person. GW's argument that civil union will lead to the breakdown of the traditional family is hogwash ( nicely put).The "traditional" family has been breaking down for more than 50 years;and not because of homosexuality. ( I could think of a hell of a lot more amendments that should be added. )Even if homosexuals aren't so called "married" they will still live together. They will still have families. Still raise children. So this amendment is not about family values. It is the government not wanting to give these couples the rights married heterocouples are afforded. It's about money, although it is being pushed as religion based.
I am for civil union because I respect the rights of people to live there lives as they see fit. As long as you are not endangering other people, especially children.

I defend people who are gay because, they have a natural right, a constitutional right to the pursuit of happiness. Not my perception of happiness. Their own. I may not agree with your choice but, instead of condemning you, I will pray for you as I hope you are praying for me.

2 comments:

chele said...

All good points. I agree that it is a money issue and not a moral or religious issue. To blame the breakdown of the traditional family on homosexuality is ridiculous.

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I also believe that the breakdown of the traditional family bit is bull. That was actually a disagreement that my father and I had years ago. He said (prior to my 2nd marriage) that because I was a single parent, and because he considered me a domineering individual, and my son could end up gay.

That was probably the 1st time I wanted to give in to my urge to slap the man.

People blame everything on single parenting. No one ever says anything about dad being in the home yet doing absolutely nothing to make and mold his children (mainly his son(s)).

I have a couple of friends, whom I knew were homosexuals before they breathed a word of it to me. As you said at the end of your entry, I just keep my friends in prayer.