Saturday, July 14, 2007

Let's Get Serious

Most of the time, when people say foolish things to me I can ignore them. As a woman I've had to put up with the various ways men approach you. Some have come off smooth like Billy Dee in 'Lady Sings The Blues'and others like Billy Dumb.I've adapted to most situations. Those of you who read this blog know nothing burns my nerves up more than a mature man trying to recapture his youth. Return of the Mack, is his theme song.I think it's ridiculous to see young men with their pants hanging off their asses and hats cocked to the side. So if you are over 25 you really look like a fool to me. I have a friend who is 38 and he does not own a pair of dress shoes.He only wears sneakers. He is my homeboy but damn, come on man. Thank God he has his own business. I was caught off guard yesterday by this phrase. What it Do Ma?
I blame Jaime Foxx for this new mess, remember in the movie 'Ray' when he said "I'm gonna let it do what it do"? Being a creative people we just shortened it. But I have heard this phrase used at the middle and end of conversations. So frankly, I was lost. How do you respond to this? The only thing that made it worst was the fact that it was coming out of a mans mouth in his forties. For a moment, I just looked at him. In mind I was saying " Brotha, let it go please". Finally, I managed a smile and a hello and kept it moving.

11 comments:

lyre said...

HA! I just love the scene in Daddy's Little Girls when Gabrielle says,"If I see another man in a throw back Jersey I'm gonna scream!" and then she sees one and DOES! LOL

What are we to do? I'm thinking of the crossover. Old Ed is lookin kinda good. smile

Believer said...

You breakin' it down girl!

Believer said...

I have to catch up on all these posts! ;)

Wendy said...

Lyre- I loved that movie! And yes I was definitely feeling her pain! LOL
Rose- Welcome back and I do try!

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

It's one thing for a man to keep up with styles, but it's a whole 'nother beast when they're doing stupid stuff to keep up with the younger men. I think some men forget what they WERE like in their youth.... broke and immature. Back in the day, they'd pass on paying a bill to get that jersey or those new Tims. Now? A stable job and a decent sized bank account carries more weight (and far more sexier) than an overstuffed closet full of overpriced clothes.

Believer said...

You've been linked in Better Ask Somebody!

Blu Jewel said...

I so feel you Wendy...i can't tell you how many times i just cringe when i hear people speak or when they say dumb stuff.

i too, am sick of grown (allegedly) men dressing and acting like teenagers, it's so NOT cute.

*Tanyetta* said...

HaHa!!! You should've said---WHAT???????????????? :)

Great post.

I'm here by way of Rosemarie!

Wendy said...

Tiki- A stable job and a decent sized bank account carries more weight (and far more sexier) than an overstuffed closet full of overpriced clothes Let the church say AMEN
Rose- Thank you!!
Blu- I can't stand that either.
Tanyetta- Thanks for stopping by.

Luke Cage said...

yeah, yEah, YEAHHH! What y'all said...! (Cage throws his throwback jersey behind the couch and drives off to put 10 bucks in the bank account)

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

CTHU @ Frank. You so duuuumb.

I'll bet you know how to rock a boardroom (did I saaaay "rock") in proper attire, chill in a jersey, "mate" in some leisure linen, so that don't apply to you. LoL

BTW I was stalling because I love me some Hosanna and 'just my 'maginaaaation'.