Monday, January 08, 2007

History


Rant- Just a warning.

While searching for something worthwhile on television I came across the Marva Collins Story. I saw this picture when I was younger, and thought I would watch it again. Had I not seen this picture before or even knew who she was I might not have watched it. Why? You may ask. Well although it was on TVONe which is supposed to be the newest station targeted towards African Americans it had this description for what this womans life's work was about.

Chicago teachers opens own ghetto school.

Which leaves much to my imagination. Are you kidding me? Why would I want to see a picture about a Ghetto school? Not that being in the ghetto was the premise of this remarkable story.

Mrs. Marva Collins began the very first black owned,preparatory school in Chicago Illnois in 1975, Westside Preparatory School. After teaching for fourteen years she became disillusioned with the Chicago public school system then decided to open and fund herself; a one room school in her home. Her first students being two of her own children and 4 other children who were labeled learning disabled, problem, borderline retarded or just unteachable by the school system. Although she meant adversity at ever turn, sometimes even from the children parents she was not discouraged. By the end of the first school year Mrs. Collins had these children and 14 others testing 5 levels above their grade. Which was elementary.

Today her school is still in operation and is now called the Marva Coillins Preparatory School. Mrs Collins won many awards for her unique, sucessful teaching method and was even offered the position of Secretary of Education by the Reagan Administration. She declined.

Given, they could not put all of this in the descripiton but what they put was ridiculous. This is not the first time I've seen this either. Another picture called Something the Lord Made had this description.

Black man helps white doctor with surgery.

This was the story of Vivian Thomas,although he never recieved a medical degree from any college was a black ,man who was a pioneer in cardiac/pulmonary procedures/disorders/corrective surgey. He was until he retired the Instructor of Surgery at Johns Hopkins University for goodness sakes!. What is going on? It really bothered me to see this. Maybe in February we will get more than a sentence.

It's Monday people.I'm going to drink my coffee and relax, relate, release...

5 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

I've seen the movie you mentioned and it was wonderful, save for Mr. Thomas not receiving his much deserved credits until so late in life. It seems to be the sad reality for many notable blacks that they do not get their credit until their death or late in life. We are such a large part of so many good things in this country, yet we only (or for the most part anyway) get credited for the bad things we do. Now, I need some coffee...lol!

Anonymous said...

I've already had my coffee and it still pisses me off. Why should we have to wait until February?

ghetto school? dang.

Believer said...

Ridiculous is right! Those one-line sentences are teasers...and entirely distasteful. What a negative twist for folk who made a difference in spite of the obstacles or their popularity.

It's disheartening to know that we're heading down a path where standards, morals, and values have diminished to an all time low.

Pitiful! :( Somebody make a fuss about this!

Believer said...

Hi Wendy,

Visit my new blog it’s an expression of my humorous side — voice on miscellaneous matters.

http://ruhoffman.blogspot.com/

Peace…

Brotha Buck said...

Thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of any of these two.