Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hypothetically

Tonight I watched a show called Intervention on A&E . It followed an aspiring artist and her boyfriend ( also very talented) going through his crack addiction.His parents had already put him out, so his girlfriends parents took him in.Unfortunately, I know a few substance abusers. I know that they try to hide that fact from me. I had a boyfriend once who used to come up with the most elaborate excuses for his disappearing acts and his money as well.Try as I did to understand, I couldn't and our relationship failed. I mention this program because it actually followed this crack addicted man, while he was doing the drugs.It showed all of the pain,irrational behavior, paranoia, violence and heartache he went through , because of this drug. I think this program should be shown in schools across america. Kids don't understand the effect drugs have on a life and the lives of those around you. They don't understand how much one can lose; family, job, friends, everything that matters to you. Even if they do know, they never think it can happen to them, because they are strong. I found the content of this one hour program so gripping.It didn't end with everyone smiling, birds chirping and a happy ending beyond the rainbow. It did leave you knowing that the struggle continues.

On a lighter note... Ms. Bassett looks beautiful in her ad for Oil of Olay Definity.

No comments: